Friday, 25 October 2013

Every Little Helps ...


I think at this stage it’s probably very obvious to everyone that I am Irish.  I am fiercely proud of being Irish and have always done my bit to support and buy Irish where I can.  For this reason, I am very rarely in Tesco.  However, when Kat (Does my bum look 40 in this) mentioned the tremendous quality and value to be had in the F&F range of Tesco tops, my interest was piqued.  When Sue (Susie So So), a lady who can spot value a mile off, commented that the quality was far superior to Zara, I was definitely interested.  So demonstrating an appalling fickleness of character where my national pride is concerned, I immediately took myself off to check out the tops for myself. 

Well, hello!  Who knew that lurking behind the tins of baked beans, such a treasure trove of quality yet cost-effective (sounds so much better than cheap) clothing existed?  I was positively excited.  After a two year break, incorporating some time in college, I have re-entered the workforce (hence the pale faced exhaustion in the photos below) and so need to stock up on appropriate tops that will work in an office environment.  And hey!  If they work in a casual environment, then that’s even better!

Starting with my absolute favourite; the Wrap Hem Blouse.   I quite simply love this.  If it doesn’t sound like a complete oxymoron, it’s made from a good quality polyester (yes, I realise that sounds ridiculous, but I mean the type of fabric that doesn’t reveal your underwear!)  And joy of joys, it perfectly matches my controversial Zara necklace.  This top is going to be worn a lot … works perfectly for the office with my tartan trousers (although admittedly I chickened out of wearing it with the necklace) and looks equally good with my recently purchased pair of coated skinnies from Vero Moda.  Result!  And all this happiness for the measly sum of €17!   (Note: Due to ark type weather, pics were taken indoors, but in reality, the green is a far richer shade than in these photos)



Oh lets have another close up of the necklace, shall we?!




This top is also available in cream, but was not in store when I was there.  I shall be hunting it down however, as the shape, fabric, sleeve length and forgiving draping makes this a serious winner in my book.

Pefect top for concealing psoriasis


Secondly, and more unusually, I went for a patterned top, the Floral Sheer Sweatshirt.  Definitely not my usual style and I stupidly pulled up the sleeves in the photo, so you can’t admire the cuffed wrist (I mentioned I was tired, didn’t I?)  This top appealed because of the fabric, the sleeves and the fact that the mix of colours means it will work with a pink, grey or navy jacket.  For another €17, it was just too good a bargain to leave behind.  And just think how useful it will be in the warmer months next year?



Also available in a darker shade, although I didn’t see this in the store when I was there

Long sleeves to conceal psoriasis on elbows


The F&F range in the Tesco I visited wasn’t huge, so I plan to venture further afield to see if I can find more.  This quality at these prices really isn’t to be sneezed at, particularly for office wear.  Let's face it; I think we’d all rather save our money for non-work clothes.  (Just me?)  Some other tops that I think would work beautifully for those wishing to conceal psoriasis include;

Wrap Hem Chiffon Blouse – I know the colours in this are dark, but as my scalp is behaving very well right now, I reckon it’s worth the risk.**
 

Limited Edition Checked Mock Wrap – this could be a very useful little top to wear with black trousers and the pattern ensures that it will be forgiving of any scalp psoriasis.
 

Lace Yoke Blouse – this looks utterly stunning on Kat and utterly vile on me.  Shame!
 
 
Signature Wrap Shirt - I do like a top that pulls everything in!
 

So what do you think?  Have I inspired you to take a look in your local supermarket?  In the past, I had consigned supermarket clothes to the realm of Primark … but the quality here is far superior.  I have long since decided that although Zara jackets are a good buy, their tops are generally very poorly made (and just look at what they charge for such tat!) so it was quite a revelation to find such well-made tops at such bargain prices.  Thank you Kat and Sue!

**I’m not entirely sure which treatment has caused my scalp to clear up so well recently, but if anyone is interested, for the past six weeks, I have (i) washed my hair daily with Barefoot SOS shampoo (ii) have conditioned with Jason Aloe Vera conditioner (iii) have applied Betamousse (prescription) each night to my scalp and (iv) have been taking Skin Marvel supplements each day.


 

 

19 comments:

  1. Um, not sure where I stand on this one, I once saw a friends Tesco cardigan fall apart in front of my eyes but my mum once had a fleece which she loved and lasted her years x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I was concentrating on the tops, but I would be wary of 'cheap' knitwear at the best of times. But I guess it's not fair for me to comment, as I really didn't look at it at all.

      Delete
  2. I have a few bits and bobs from F&F and have always thought the quality is quite good, knit wear isn't the best though. Their wool coats are great though! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've ever looked. Definitely impressed with the tops. Must check out the coats, next time I visit

      Delete
  3. It does sound like an oxymoron - good polyester but it does sometimes happen. The sewing and the finishing was good on the tops that I inspected - heck I even took one in to try on. And the burgundy red one is a much sharper shade in real life. Worth a peek. I'm not that keen on the knitwear but I always keep a lookout for their cashmere - I was hoping for a black rollneck this year but none to be had. Pah.

    P.S. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting tip about the cashmere. I only saw one cashmere sweater .. in a size 20! I have to say, I'll definitely be checking it out again though - much better value and quality than Zara!

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the Zara cashmere jumpers, I was quite intrigued by them but then realised I had something identical anyway.

      Delete
  4. Helen, those tops look amazing and you look amazing in them - you would never guess they were from Tesco. I have the cream lace yoke blouse which I saw advertised somewhere a while ago and thought how nice it was. Funnily enough I had it on tonight and my girlfriends all commented on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet it looks lovely on you also. Can't even begin to tell you how utterly pants it looked on me. I actually laughed out loud when I tried it on!! Thank you for the lovely comment btw x (hoping you're impressed with the green top as I think it's in my colour palette?!)

      Delete
    2. Very impressed with the colour! Just read the title to this post and it made me lol x

      Delete
  5. Wish I had a Tesco that stocks clothing near to me! Love the tops you have found....you look fab in the blue & floral! Tesco are really having a moment this season......I keep seeing lovely stuff from them everywhere! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you To be honest, the floral was one of those 'it will do for work' purchases .... but I really LOVE the green top!

      Delete
  6. I hope you've tweeted this to @ClothingatTesco - really great post. You've made these things look 100 times better than they look online. Really loving the green and beige one at the top - gorgeous shape. Going to look out for it when I'm next in for milk :)
    Have a great weekend Helen, Axx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Avril. I've been a bit neglectful of the 'Twitters' (as Marian Keyes would say!) recently, but will certainly tweet them on Monday. Thanks for the tip. And you should definitely search out that top . it's the business!!!

      Delete
  7. I love the styles of all of the tops that you found, but I have a psychological resistance to polyester, it stems back to the days when I could only afford polyester from Woolworths and all my friends bought silk from Debenhams and Selfridges (when they were a chain of department stores) I am going back about 30 years! If I shop around, I can find silk for not far off these prices. I took a top that I had bought from Debenhams about 25 years ago, on holiday, it is the most fluid heavyweight beautiful silk, and it still had the label (another hang up when I did get nice things was that I might have to take them back so I never took out the labels!) It is just a vest top and it was in the sale, but way back then, the first price was £40 and I got it for £10 thinking it was an INCREDIBLE bargain, this was before internet etc, how times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My local Tesco is quite big but just doesn't have a very good clothing section & it always disappoints when I go in! Everyone else seems to find such great things! The wrap hem blouses are lovely! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Tesco it is! The tops look so good on you, so next time i am getting the bin bags and dishwasher tabs, I will check out the clothing aisle!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first blouse is PERFECTION on you! You must track down any and all clothing in that color. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The green top looks fab on you Helen. And...I love your Zara necklace! x

    ReplyDelete