Friday, 8 March 2013

A Bargain from Primark


Sounds like an oxymoron!  Isn’t everything a bargain in Primark?  But to my mind, no!  A bargain is only a bargain if it is something that you would have possibly paid more for or something that will slot nicely into your wardrobe.  A bargain is not something that is cheap and will be binned within a few weeks.   I know that many of you are fans of Primark.  I think at this stage, we’ve established that I’m not … but this week, I was very pleasantly surprised.

I will concede that Primark is wonderful for (cheap) wrapping paper, not to mention birthday cards, which I tend to buy in bulk.  Very useful if you are still at the stage where your children are being invited to birthday parties every second week.  And this is why I went into Primark in the first place; to buy some cards and wrapping paper.

As I made my way through the store, I spied this.


It was on sale.  On sale in Primark, I hear you cry!  Just how low can their prices go?  I tried it on, I posed this way and that in front of the mirror and eventually rang a pal, who I knew was in a nearby shop.  ‘Come advise me’, I said.  ‘Am I being swayed by the price, or is this actually nice?’   She duly came, she duly advised, I duly purchased.  So here it is …



It looks blue in these pictures, but in reality it is a mint green, shot through with grey.  Not a colour I’ve ever worn before, but one that would be very forgiving for a psoriasis sufferer.  As I have lots of grey already in my wardrobe, I reckoned it would slot in well.  However, it still needed a little something, so I added a scarf, which I bought years ago (In the Edinburgh Woollen Mills I think) and have rarely worn.  



I teamed it with my beloved wedge trainers from Carl Scarpa, a pair of skinny jeans from Next (similar here) and a sleeveless top from Next (here). Then in the style of every true fashionista, I combined my high street with designer and finished off the look with my beloved Mulberry Kensington handbag.

How much was it?  NINE EURO!  Less than you’d pay for a decent bottle of wine!  There are still some left in-store, so if you’re interested you should pop along to your local Primark.  Did I ever think I’d hear myself utter those words?! 
Have a lovely weekend.

16 comments:

  1. LOL Helen. You in Primark! Didn't I see something where you'd bought something else from there recently or am I pushing it a bit there? The jacket actually looks great on you from what I can see - a little soft focus but the shape really suits and you know what - the colour is perfect for breaking in to Spring. Well done you - get in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I? Can't remember buying anything there recently, but then I've a head like a sieve! If I do remember, I'll get back to you. Yep, photos are a bit soft focus - not intentional. I should probably invest in a better camera .. but I prefer spending money on clothes:)

      Delete
  2. Have a good weekend Helen.

    Weather supposed to change on Sunday to low figures
    so maybe we will be pulling the woollies back out
    (hopefully not)!!!

    Happy Mother's day


    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooooo! I was hoping for blue skies and bright days. Enough of the cold weather now. It's nearly Paddy's Day for goodness sake! Happy Mother's Day to you too, Fiona.

      Delete
  3. My goodness - cheap as chips and you have money over for the nice bottle of sauvy to go with those chips. Love love the blue on you and love how it goes casual too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody .. and yes, that bottle of sauvy is going down very nicely as I type!!

      Delete
  4. Snap Helen...I bought a similar one locally for the same price although mine is a peplum style. I will give it a whirl when the weather warms up, you look lovely:) Have a great weekend!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you got one too. I was in Dunnes Stores today and in the Savida section they have a very similar style jacket in the identical fabric (colour as well) for €45!! Was even more chuffed with my bargain when I saw that.

      Delete
  5. Great bargain, primark has some gems. Looks great on you too and I love your wedge trainers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trea. And happy mother's day tomorrow :)

      Delete
  6. Hi there!! Yes a gorgeous bargain and so perfect for Spring, just loving this outfit and I really like it without the scarf too, it shows the cut of the jacket really well! I get the odd item from Primark like scarves. Have a good weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get nothing in Primark, so that's why I was so pleased to get this .. especially at such a price :)

      Delete
  7. It's a lovely jacket, I find Primark completely overwhelming and end up with a basket of items, but buying nothing (and then searching items out on Ebay and paying more for them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I'm the same .. without the eBay bit. I just leave in disgust and wonder why I'm not seeing what everyone else sees. A lot of my pals get lots of great stuff there. This is the first time I've been successful.

      Delete
  8. That jacket is a great colour for spring and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh I like it!!, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Primark, I think that all tends to look quite shabby after a couple of washes, but you probably won't be washing this too often so fab bargain buy!! x

    ReplyDelete